April 22, 2009
New York, New York — FIX Flyer, the leader in transparent and efficient trading, announces today a major milestone for the securities trading industry — the Flyer FIX Engine provides the lowest latency and highest performance on a 1U CPU, offering a cost savings of 30x for comparable solutions.
The Flyer FIX Engine software is highly optimized for fast message validations and disk operations required for intensive FIX based applications used in algorithmic trading and trade processing. Latencies averaged less than 5,000th of a second during high throughputs of over 35,000 messages per second while running on commodity hardware with full persistence.
Jeff Drew, founder of latency detection software company Trading Metrics, performed the tests and analyzed all results.
“The Flyer FIX Engine ushers in a new era for efficient, low latency electronic trading, even at high trading volumes,” said Jeff Drew. “This kind of performance will enable new services and cost savings that existed only in the realm of imagination a year ago.”
“Utilizing Jeff Drew’s deep industry expertise and methodology for measuring impossibly small network latencies, we have proven that we are the most advanced and efficient FIX Engine on the market,” added FIX Flyer CTO Randy Prager.
The Flyer FIX Engine delivers high-end solutions for traders of all sizes, at an unbeatable space and power footprint. Other solutions in the market require one half rack (24U) of server space to deliver what Flyer can in just 1U. The overall solution can scale linearly in your datacenter, presenting unprecedented performance and manageability.
- 99% of messages processed under 400 microseconds with throughput rates at 35,000 messages per second
- Consistent, deterministic latency — normal distribution averaging 200 microseconds
- No outliers greater than 2 milliseconds
- No significant impact from garbage collection
- No memory leak patterns detected
The following were used for the tests:
- Three Dell PowerEdge 1950 servers, each with two Intel Xeon E5405, 2 Ghz Quad Core 64bit processors, 4 GB RAM memory, two high speed SAS @ 15K RPM disks, RAID level 1 mirroring, and 1GB Switched Ethernet LAN were used to simulate an order sending application, buy side FIX Engine, and sell side FIX Engine with an acknowledgement module
- Randomly generated FIX New Order Single with variable Symbol, Side, Size and Limit Price information
- Full validation and persistence
- Simulated, bidirectional messaging with Execution message acknowledgements responses from Orders
- Sending and receiving 1 million messages
- Average message size 157 bytes
- All measurements made directly from the network with no impact to the running processes
- Results visualized using TIBCo Spotfire
- Sun Java 6 Virtual Machine
About FIX Flyer
FIX Flyer develops and operates advanced technology for managing complex, multi–asset, institutional securities trading using highly scalable software and network technologies.
Since 2005, as an agile technology provider, we have partnered with our 170+ clients worldwide, including UBS, Barclays, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, Berenberg, Unicredit, GBM, Interacciones, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, and more to build high quality, feature-rich software.
Flyer has built a team of operational experts who manage and provide Managed FIX software-as-a-service. Our subject matter experts create and operate FIX servers for you to realize the full potential of our software to deliver the highest level of service and return on investment.
The FIX Flyer Engine is the first FIX server designed to manage high volume, ultra low latency trading networks and ECNs, easily scaling to thousands of connections.
FIX Flyer also provides the Daytona trade surveillance monitor, the F1 Risk Control Gateway, the Ignition regression test and certification tool; the Flyer Online hosted Order Management System, and the Flyer Trading Network.
FIX Flyer has headquarters in New York City with offices in Boston and Hyderabad India.